As the month of March draws to an end one particular day comes to mind, as a Latina and as a blogger…March 31st – the 17th anniversary of the death of beloved Tejana singer-songwriter, Selena (Quintanilla-Pérez).
Many Latinas could relate to Selena and saw her as an inspiration. She showed us that being a successful Latina in the United States could be a challenging road but that it was still possible to dream big and succeed at whatever our hearts desired. Sadly, she was taken from us before her time and thoughts of “what could’ve been” for beautiful, talented Selena were all that remained.
But thanks to her passion, strength and commitment we are still able to share in the legacy she left behind. Here’s hoping that you remember Selena this month – as a Latina who helped pave the way for our voices to be heard and know that she left us various lessons to be learned from her life.
- Honor your voice. Selena always stayed true to her voice. As a Mexican American, born and raised in Texas, English was her first language but that did not prevent her from embracing her Latina-ness. She stayed true to herself and her fans – English and Spanish speaking alike. Don’t be afraid to be you! Ask yourself how is your blog voice unique? What do you deliver that no one else does?
- Rely on a support system. Selena didn’t do it alone. She had her family, friends and band members behind her every step of the way. Every blogger needs a community for support, ideas, and life. But be cautious. If we can learn something valuable from Selena it is to be careful of people who do not have your best interests at heart. Don’t be afraid to cut those ties when necessary.
- Remember how far you’ve come. A line from the book To Selena, With Love, written by Selena’s widower, Chris Perez says it best: “I love looking back to where we began, seeing us as we were at the beginning,” she wrote once, “then slowly leafing through the memories that we’ve made together to bring us to where we are today.” Selena reflected on just how far she came by cherishing the road it took to get there. Those are things you do not want to forget as a blogger. Who helped you get where you are? What things did you learn that has made you the blogger you are today? How can you help another blogger on their “road”?
- Don’t be afraid to fail, succeed or take chances. After spending years performing at fair grounds and other small venues there were moments in Selena’s life when it may not have seemed likely that success was possible. But she remained resilient and kept trying. And even at the pinnacle of her music career she took a chance of opening her own clothing boutique. She was fearless. Don’t let opportunities pass you because you are afraid to fail, succeed or take a chance. Nothing is beyond your reach! What is stopping you from taking that next step?
- Be immortal. Selena will always remain in the hearts of her fans and admirers because she sang and wrote songs that were unique and heartfelt. She was always thinking outside the box and her music was a gateway for other musicians to build off of. Create content that is useful, can be used as a resource and will also allow your community to grow from it.
Share: Como La Flor – like the flower – what lessons have you learned that help you to grow and blossom as a blogger?
image credit: To Selena, With Love by Chris Perez