I started blogging almost two years ago when my son was about 5 months old. Like many, I used it as an outlet to share my thoughts about being a first-time mom. Along the way I have met some incredibly talented, amazing people that I have the privilege of calling my friends who have advised and listened to me through the years.
In my opinion, having this strong support system, especially early on in our blogging endeavors, keeps us motivated and focused in our goals to be successful, well-respected content producers.
So if you are looking to start a blog, or recently created one, check out these six tips as well as 4 Tips To Starting A Blog to help you stay on track.
- Blogging isn’t easy. Many quit because they realize it is not as glamorous as they expected it to be. It is not a get rich quick scheme, it takes a lot time, hard work and effort to manage. Be willing to commit the time
- Effectively use analytics tools. This doesn’t mean you should obsess over numbers but you should know what works. Find what where they are coming from, which search engine and what keywords are being used to find your blog. You can use this information to improve your blog and optimize it.
- Do reply to comments. I believe it is very important to engage with readers/commenters and acknowledge them when they provide feedback on our work
- Be consistent. Whether you post daily, three times a week or weekly, provide you readers with some consistency. Posting regularly will get them into a routine to come back and read your latest work. Creating a simple editorial calendar can help you stay organized and on track.
- Be social. Join forums, meetups, communities, social networks and establish relationships with others. This, in my opinion, is where more of your knowledge, insight and opportunities to show what you’ve got and create lasting friendships comes from
- Stay positive and have fun. Don’t focus on the negative elements. Stress less, be positive and think about how you are providing value to others and are appreciated for it.
The most important piece of advice I can offer on this post is to simply be true to yourself. Don’t get caught up on what others are saying or doing, just do what is right for you. Everyone has an opinion, make yours count!