Consumers rely on the Internet to make vital purchasing decisions making product reviews increasingly popular in the space. And since so many individuals rely on these reviews, it is important as a review blogger to provide your audience with information they need to know to help them make an informed decision.
So whether, you are working with a brand or decide to write about a product you have purchased yourself, the message should always remain the same. Your audience is relying on your honesty to provide them with what they need to know about a particular product.
Below are some key components to keep in mind the next time you are writing your next product review.
- Make sure the product fits your niche. Review products that fit comfortably in your niche. Don’t talk about a product that 1. has nothing to do with your niche and 2. does not appeal to your audience. People visit your site because they can relate to what you write about, not to read about a random product you were sent.
- Be objective. Put yourself in the shoes of who you are writing for. Be sure the review covers all aspects and be detailed.
- Be honest. There is nothing more discrediting than writing a review solely based on wanting the brand to like what you wrote as opposed to writing because it will benefit your audience.
- Have a purpose. Whether you like the product or not, always provide your audience with a list of pros and cons. Fully discuss what the product does, how it helps or how it doesn’t.
- Provide details. Cover key points such as cost, where to purchase the product, etc. Outline these features to help your readers better understand the product.
- Always disclose. Let your audience know the reason behind you reviewing the product. Know the FTC disclosure policy (part 1 and part 2)
- Decide what you want out of the review. For me personally, I feel getting paid to review products is a conflict of interest. For others, it is not. Know where you stand on this issue and stick to it. Create a relationship with the brand based on honesty, consistency and value.
The most indispensable tip I can provide when writing a compelling product review is to always speak your mind. Be true to yourself and know your worth. If you absolutely love the product, just say so. If you dislike the product, inform your audience of this as well, and never compromise your integrity to please anyone.
Share: With the amount of information floating around the space, how do your product reviews differ from the rest?