Two weeks ago, Ella Media and LBC hosted our first #DLBChat, or Digital Latina Bloggers Chat. We decided to join forces because we believe social media is only effective when it brings us together on a common goal. Our goal is to give back what we have learned in our journey as bloggers, and to continue to learn and expand our knowledge base. So, we put together the bi-weekly #DLBChat where we´ll be tackling a blogging/social media topic for 90 minutes at 1pm EST/10am PST every other Tuesday.
The first topic was “How to Promote your Blog” and we can honestly say that it was much more than we ever expected. A total of 79 people joined in during the hour and everyone was completely open to sharing and learning tons from each other. I actually went to the infamous Twitter jail for a while because there was so much going on!
The beauty of #DLBChat doesn´t end after the 90 minutes are up. Useful tweets continue to be shared, plus you can access a full archive of the conversation, chock-full of advice, via this Twapper Keeper link. We´ll also be posting a recap after every chat with the main points and tools both Melanie and I shared, and some of the tweets sent by the bloggers who joined in.
Recap for #DLBChat No. 1
- What is the most effective tool you use to promote your blog?
- Attend as many offline blogging events as possible. Networking offline is a great way to promote your blog.
- Do you know your readers? Do you know your followers? Pay attention to them as they are your organic promotion team.
- Have you sent out an online Press Release? It helps increase authority of your blog in SEO. Use your keywords.
- Work on your blog’s SEO. Use plugins to optimize each post and revisit overall site’s SEO periodically.
- Do you know your blog’s keywords? How are you using them?
- When was the last time you Googled yourself and your blog´s keywords? Do it now.
- Think of your blog as a brand and promote it as you would a product by being consistent & having a clear message.
- Readers need to know what you are about to develop trust in your message. Do you know what your main message/mission is?
- Top ways to promote your blog: Guest posts, comments, links, Facebook page, Twitter, belonging to a blogging tribe, social media bookmarks.
- If you choose to promote through social media, be ready to invest time to be an active participant.
- Be a wise promoter, not an annoying one. Make sure your message is clear and content is relevant to the audience you are targeting.
- Relevant comments on other blogs in your niche is one of best ways to be found. Comment Luv plugin is great for this.
- Share: How do you use Facebook Pages to promote your blog?
- I recommend not linking automatic updates from blog to Twitter & Facebook. Customize the message for each audience.
- Your followers on Twitter & FB are not the same. Craft each tweet & update for each audience.
- Create blog posts that link to other blogs in your niche. Find something in common & you´ve got a great post that makes many happy.
- Reach out to bloggers in your niche and tell them about your new post. They might love it enough to mention or link to it.
- Do you promote your best content within your blog? Link to other relevant posts & use plugins like Link Within, YARPP.
- Do you have Google Alerts set up for your name and your blog´s name? This way you will know when you are mentioned & can thank the blogger.
- Google Alerts on your blog´s keywords is essential for finding other bloggers on your niche & for providing relevant content to followers.
- Will sound obvious, but posting regularly is a great way to increase traffic. 3-5 times per week is ideal.
- If you have Comment Luv installed, try to visit the blogger that left a comment & pay it forward with a comment on their blog.
- Tweet using popular hashtags relevant to your message or content, but avoid spam.
- Attend twitter parties relevant to your blog’s content. You will meet many interested in the same topics.
- Vlogging is an excellent way to extend your reach and SEO.
- Do you have business cards for your blog? Listing URL & main social media accounts is great for connecting with others at offline events.
- Join your local Social Media Club if there’s one in your area. http://socialmediaclub.org/
- Attend blogging and social media conferences that are relevant. You’ll not only learn, but increase your network.
- Be sure to include your blog’s URL in your email signature.
- Hosting giveaways is a great way to gain traffic. Be sure the giveaway is relevant to your content and readers.
- Encourage comments on your posts by ending with an open ended question and inviting readers to discuss in the comments.
- Create a theme week where you invite other bloggers to write about one topic. Generates links back from their traffic & you promote them.
- Use linkys for blog series to encourage readers to share their posts. Submit your related posts to other linkys as well. Mr. Linkys and Simply Linked are popular ones.
- Blog carnivals are a great tool to promote within your niche. Find one on this site or start your own with your blogging buddies.
- Create a badge for your blog. Exchange badges with other bloggers. It will increase visibility for your blog.
- Relevant blog posts:
Join us for the next #DLBChat!
- Topic: How To Execute and Promote Giveaways
- When: Tomorrow, Tuesday November 23rd
- Time: 1pm EST/10am PST
- Where: Our favorite online tools to follow chats: http://tweetchat.com/room/dlbchat and TweetGrid
- Who: Follow your hosts @ellamedia and @lbconnect.
Do you have any more tips on how to promote your blog? Please share and let´s keep the learning going!