One of the best ways to bring exposure to your blog is to network off-line. While we have covered many ways to interact online, giving a face to the blog is just as important.
First compile a list of relevant groups you would like to interact with. This can include blog conferences, local events, meet-ups, chambers of commerce discussions or volunteer activities. Think entrepreneurial. If your business took off into a larger scale, then you would want the best person to represent your brand. Although these are basic tools to make a lasting impression, you’d be surprised how they can be overlooked.
1. Treat all conversations in any type of environment as an interview. Be mindful to approach every conversation as such with courtesy.
2. Have plenty of business cards in your pocket. It shows you are serious about your blog. Highly recommend moo.com for various designs or customize your own.
3. When you find someone that really ‘clicks’, find a topic that can link it back to your blog. That common interest can be a future collaboration.
4. Exude confidence. Maintain eye contact and deliver a firm handshake. Your tone of voice will make the conversation flow. Don’t have wandering eyes or fiddle with your smartphone. If you do, it shows insecurity and you’ll lose the attention of the other person.
5. After you have formed a great rapport, offer to be part of a panel, host a twitter chat. It shows your willingness to continue the conversation online.
6. After the event is said and done, don’t let the networking stop abruptly. Send a thank you note or email.