“If you don’t pay appropriate attention to what has your attention, it will take more of your attention than it deserves.” – David Allen
Time management is about working smarter, not harder, about finding the best tools unique to you that will provide the greatest return. Learning to be more effective and productive with what you have and not overcomplicating your routine with distractions.
In order to boost your productivity, you first have to recognizes the errors you are currently making and learn from them.
Take a look at these eight common mistakes that may be preventing you from devoting your efforts whether they matter.
- Not keeping a list. If you have a laundry list of things to do and no starting point, you’re in trouble. Having a list and effectively prioritizing your tasks is a start to a less stressful day. Find a system that works for you and stick to it. It will help you stay on track.
- Not setting goals. In this space it is very important to know where you want to be in both the near and distant future. Setting personal goals for yourself is an essential key to effectively managing your time. Give yourself a vision of where you would like to be in six months, one year, even five years from now to gain a better perspective of your business.
- Failing to pay attention to what matters. Not knowing how to prioritize tasks that are important to you and your brand will only make your road to success that much longer.
- Reinventing the wheel. If you find yourself solving the same issues over and over agian then you need to set aside time to create a system that will work for you. Create a database for your contacts, giveaway info, editorial calendar, etc. Having a solid system in place will reduce the amount of wasted time and will save you time in the long run.
- Choosing the wrong tools. If you are a pen and paper kind of person don’t go out and spend money on the latest gadget. If keeping it simple is your thing – then keep it simple.
- Not getting started. Time management problem #1 is not getting started. Until you realizes how valuable your time is, you will not make the necessary changes to be more productive and less stressed.
- Taking on too much. Saying yes to everything leads to poor use of your time, meager performance and unnecessary stress.
- Failing to meet deadlines. This is crucial and detrimental to your brand! ALWAYS stick to deadlines!